The Backyard contains interactive activities and objects that instill a sense of wonder and curiosity about the natural world. Some of our favorite exhibition highlights include:
- Modeled after a self-contained garden area, this enclosed, soft space is separated from areas designed for older toddlers and preschoolers. It is an ideal area for infants to work on tummy time, rolling over, and sitting up. Within this space, older infants have an area to practice crawling, walking, and grasping different textures.
- An old oak tree (ages 2-5)
- Children will embody imaginative, dramatic, and realistic play as they dress like familiar backyard animals, crawl on a giant ladybug, and gallivant around an old oak tree. Self-directed play can take many forms as kids build block structures, and uncover hidden sounds and live animals in the garden wall.
- A potting shed (ages 2-5)
- Adults can relax and recharge on plush bench seating with free WiFi and a charging station while kids exercise fine motor skills and build imaginations as they create and pot flowers, read books, solve puzzles, color mix on the light table, and sort shapes.
All exhibit elements are presented in both English and Spanish.