To interpret the natural world through research, education and exhibits; to promote understanding of the evolution and diversity of southern California and the peninsula of Baja California; and to inspire in all a respect for nature and the environment.
- To emphasize this unique and diverse region while maintaining a global perspective;
- To collect and preserve scientific specimens for research and as a continuous record of the changing world for future generations;
- To serve as a center for the scientific study of biological diversity and evolution;
- To provide dynamic leadership in natural history and environmental education through exhibits, publications, and educational programs, striving to make this outreach relevant to all the people of the San Diego region;
- To foster cooperative efforts in natural history research and education throughout our region.
The San Diego Natural History Museum will be the premier collections-based environmental education and natural history research resource in our region. We will provide programs that are timely, user-friendly, and relevant to the real-life needs of the diverse populations of the San Diego-Baja California region today and tomorrow.