The San Diego Natural History Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Special Events Staff
The San Diego Natural History Museum is seeking reliable and responsible individuals who can work on an on-call basis, to interact with clients and vendors during private events at the Museum. The load-in and load-out of vendors is also involved. Hours are often late at night and are determined on as-needed basis. Average of 6-24 hours per month. Excellent customer service skills and a familiarity with museums are required.
Please note: If you are a current part-time employee at the San Diego Natural History Museum, you are eligible to apply for this position. If you are a current full-time SDNHM employee, you are ineligible for this position.
There are 3 areas of responsibility include:
Event Presence (50% of position):
- Reviews SDNHM’s Work Order and becomes familiar with vendors, timeline and diagrams for each location.
- Communicates with the staff person in charge of the event (the Director of Museum Events, the Event Coordinator, or the Special Events Lead) to ensure all situations are being addressed.
- Oversees assigned area(s) of the Museum.
- Communicates directions and/or requests received from clients with the staff person in charge of the event prior to executing any requests.
- Assists guests; offers excellent customer service to all.
Vendor load-in and load-out (30% of position):
- Monitors vendor load-in, set-up, and load-out according to time frame and diagram.
- Wristbands vendors, if stationed at the East or West entrance and ensures that all vendors sign-in at the vendor sign-in log.
- Ensures that only appropriate vendors access loading areas.
- Stops unauthorized vendors or Balboa Park guests from entering the Museum during load-in and load-out.
Museum Safety and Cleanliness (20% of position):
- Monitors assigned exhibit area(s) to ensure that food and beverage are not being placed on exhibit pieces or over railings.
- Communicates any safety concerns with the staff person in charge.
- If necessary, assists with evacuation of guests using established emergency protocol.
- Contacts Building Operations for any clean-ups to reduce chances of injury or image tarnish.
- Works with Building Operations and Event Lead at the end of the event to ensure that all areas and items are returned/reset to original position/location.
- Advises the staff person in charge of any witnessed damage or injury.
Please send resume and cover letter to Rachel De Quesada, Director of Museum Events, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visitor Services Associate, Part Time Temporary
The San Diego Natural History Museum is seeking enthusiastic and friendly part time Visitor Services Associates (VSA’s) for the exciting exhibition The Discovery of King Tut, opening October 11, 2014. VSA’s provide Museum guests an unparalleled customer service experience in a fast-paced educational and entertaining environment. The ideal candidates will be comfortable shifting roles and responsibilities throughout the day while continually maintaining a pleasant and professional demeanor.
Areas of responsibilities may include:
- Greeting guests of the Museum.
- Stationed at the Admission Desks selling admissions, memberships, and programs.
- Stationed at one of the Audio Tour kiosks, distributing and demonstrating equipment.
- Stationed at the exhibition photo experience, taking and/or editing photos.
- Stationed at the Museum’s giant-screen theatre, assisting guests with seating and 3D equipment.
- Provide consistent and excellent customer service to visitors, members, and staff.
- Other general visitor services duties, including but not limited to: Describing Museum exhibitions with interest and accuracy; monitoring the cleanliness of exhibitions throughout the day; answering incoming phone calls professionally; and, keeping up-to-date on current promotions, programs, and procedures
- The top qualification required is a friendly personality with a visitor-focused attitude and a commitment to creating a welcoming and fun atmosphere for the Museum's visitors.
- Professional demeanor, reliable, and hardworking.
- A background in customer service, hospitality, or retail with experience in cash handling is desirable.
- Familiarity with Balboa Park a plus.
- Must be able stand and communicate verbally for the majority of each shift.
Weekends, holidays, and some evenings are required. The San Diego Natural History Museum is open daily, except for Thanksgiving and Christmas Day. This is a part time, temporary position through April 26, 2015 with weekly hours ranging from 16 – 28 hours. VSA’s enjoy free admission into all of Balboa Park’s museums as well as free admission to the San Diego Zoo.
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com. No phone calls or drop-ins, please.