(Above: Museum Director Clinton G. Abbott photographing floral display in the early 1920s.)
Photographic materials held in the San Diego Natural History Museum Research LIbrary include prints, 35 mm slides, lantern slides, glass negatives, and videos, mostly from the time period 1918–1980. A small but significant number of prints are collected in photograph albums.
The research library holds a collection of photo albums prepared by museum staff. Most of the photographs in the albums date from the 1920s. The albums contain black and white or sepia prints, with an average of four prints per page, richly captioned, describing the work of the museum's naturalists throughout the region. Following are titles and brief descriptions of some of these captioned albums. Note that the photo albums constitute only a fraction of the library's collection of photographs.
(Left: Clinton G. Abbott standing on Laurence M. Huey's back while he photographs the nest of a Desert Thrasher.)
(45 pages) 1923–1926
Includes July 1923, August 1924 and June 1926 trips to Guadalupe Island. The August 1924 trip is particularly well-documented.
(22 pages) 1924–1925
Includes trips to the Coronado Islands in 1924 and a trip to San Clemente Island, California, 1925.
(17 pages) 1926
A trip to Trinidad Whaling Station, Humboldt County, California. July 12–Aug 31, 1926. Includes pictures of the Trinidad coast, the whaling boat and activities, black-footed albatross, fin-backed whale, and California gray whale.
(84 pages) 1923–1926
Includes Bard, California; Laguna Dam, Colorado River and Picacho, Imperial County, California; mountains, bridges, dams, Thousand Palm Canyon, San Diego County.
Museum truck on San Felipe Trail at the edge of the desert and Mr. Fleming with a century plant. May 6-7, 1922.
Guy L. Fleming loading Museum truck with plants. April, 1923.
William J. Gillette, Billy Gillette and Guy L. Fleming, with the Museum truck, collecting accessories on Palomar Mountain for the Elk group. September, 1923.
Preparing specimens near Bard, California. From left to right: Professor Gallegos, Mrs. May Canfield and Laurence M. Huey. May, 1924.