SWOT Staff Report
Internal Strengths and Weaknesses
- Scientific collection and research program.
- New facility in a desirable location.
- Talented and dedicated staff, leadership, and volunteers.
- Quality exhibit and education programming.
- Strong mission with a binational focus.
- Budget limitations; lack of funding; small endowment.
- Lack of exhibits in new building.
- Inadequate staff and vacant positions.
- Unfinished building; compromises made during construction.
- Management: communication, style, staff training, accounting tools, staff morale, project coordination.
Main Opportunities and Threats
- Growth in the region.
- Increased public demand for scientific literacy; increased importance and popularity of environmental issues.
- Binational position; relationship with Mexico; future collaborations and coalitions.
- Economic downturn and rising costs.
- Competition for leisure time.
- Infrastructure of San Diego City and County: traffic, parking, security concerns.
Back to Findings
SP Home | The Process | Background | Calendar | FAQs | Findings
© 2013 San Diego Natural History Museum