Education Professionals Individual Interviews Discussion Guide
I. Introduction/Warm Up - 5 mins.
Purpose is to introduce respondents and interviewer, obtain background information, begin to establish rapport.
- Explain purpose
- Name, organization, role within the organization, tenure in job
II. Use of the Museum - 15 mins.
Purpose is to understand the usage and perceptions of the Museum currently.
- ASK TEACHERS: How frequently do you take students to the Natural History Museum? For what purposes do you take them?
- How do you think of the Natural History Museum currently? How is it used by students? By teachers?
- MENTION EACH CURRENT PROGRAM AND ASK: Are you aware of this program? Have you taken advantage of this? How did you find it?
- Teacher's Expo (Annual September education fair that outlines the Museum's programs for the academic year.)
- Self guided in-museum visits
- In-Museum docent tours
- Docent outreach classes
- In-Museum science workshops
- Off-site science workshops
- Guided Nature Walks
- AFTER ALL HAVE BEEN DISCUSSED ASK: Which do you find the most/least useful? Why do you say that?
- How good a job would you say it's doing in conservation and environmental education? Why do you say that?
III. Future Museum Role - 20 mins.
Purpose is to understand desires and ideas for how Museum can aid educators.
- What is the easiest way for you to find out about the Museum's programs? Probe especially usage of web site.
- Would you participate in distance learning? Website-based instruction?
- What do you think should be the role, if any, of the Museum in teacher training/staff development? Why do you say that? Would you take advantage of that? Why do you say that?
- Which do you prefer: outreach visits to the school or field trips to the Museum? Why do you say that?
- How do you think the Museum can be made more relevant to the literacy block? Why do you say that?
- How interested would you be in each of the following: loan library kits; large screen movie experience; tapes of lectures for checking out; an abstract posted to the web site before a lecture or after a lecture?
- What would make Natural History Museum's programs so dynamic that the program is required?
- Which California State Science Content Standard strand/strands should the Museum emphasize in its Education Programs?
- Life Science: Living Things, Cells/Genetics/Evolution, Ecosystems
- Earth Science: Astronomy, Geology/Natural Resources, Oceanography, Meteorology
- Physical Science: Matter, Reactions/Interactions, Force/Motion, Energy
- Why did you choose that particular emphasis?
Back to Educators Report