Telephone Group Discussion Guide
I. Introduction/Warm Up - 10 mins.
Purpose is to introduce respondents and interviewer, obtain background information, begin to establish rapport.
- Explain purpose, role of moderator, role of participants
- Name, organization, role within the organization, tenure in job
II. Museum Role in Conservation and Environmental Education - 15 mins.
Purpose is to understand the perceptions of the Museum currently.
- Do you think of the Museum (note - "Museum" always refers to the San Diego Natural History Museum) as playing any sort of role in conservation and environmental education these days, or not? Why do you say that?
- If yes, ask: How would you describe the role that it plays currently? Be specific about what you think it does. Whom does it benefit? What are the benefits?
- How good a job would you say it's doing in conservation and environmental education? Why do you say that?
III. Future Museum Role - 25 mins.
Purpose is to understand desires and ideas for how Museum can aid conservation and environmental education.
- Ideally, what role would you like to see the Museum play in environmental and conservation education? Give specific examples.
- What would be the benefits of having the Museum play that role, offer those things? Why is that important?
- Are there any examples with which you're familiar of museums that currently do play that kind of role? Which ones? What do you like about their programs? Why do you say that?
- What about Museum research? Could that aid in conservation and environmental education? How? Give examples of other Museums that do some of the things you're suggesting.
- EXPLAIN NEW EXHIBITS AT MUSEUM. ASK: What, if anything, do you think would be the benefits to you of having this at the Museum? What would be the benefits in general of having this at the Museum? Why do you say that?
- What concerns, if any, would you have about the Museum doing some of the things you're suggesting? Why do you say that?
IV. Environmental Issues - 10 mins.
Purpose is to understand what issues respondents believe the Museum should focus on.
- In your opinion, what would you say are the key environmental/conservation issues facing the region over the next ten years?
- Which of those do you think the Museum can have the most impact in helping on? Why do you say that?
Back to Conservation Report