Trips to the Coronado Islands, April and May 1924
About the Trip
Islas Coronado, Islas de los Coronado, or the Coronado Islands, are a small group of islandsNorth, Middle and South Coronado, in particularoff the coast of Mexico, just south of the U.S.-Mexico border.
L.M. Huey and Jose
M. Gallegos made two trips to the Islands in 1924, accompanied by Ralph Hoffman
and Carroll deWilton Scott in April and by A.J. van Rossem in May.
Professor Gallegos apparently did recommend protection for the Coronado birds, and the Mexican government declared the islands to be a bird sanctuary. In addition, a small army garrison was stationed on South Island (Ellsberg, Los Coronados Islands, 1970).
The article also noted that "the Mexican fisheries boat Tecate, which patrols local waters " was to be made available to the scientists; the boat was used on the May 1924 trip, and also on subsequent trips.
Recent work and more information on the Islands is available at the Herpetofaunal
Survey of the Coronado Islands March 2000 (Herpetology Department).