At the Museum
Each of the following questions can be answered by exploring Monarca: Butterfly Beyond Boundaries.Magical Metamorphosis
1. What does metamorphosis mean? __________________________________________
2. What are the four stages in butterfly metamorphosis? ______________, ______________,
______________ and ______________.
3. Describe each stage in a Monarch's metamorphosis (color, size, shape).
a. ___________ ______________________________________________________
b. ___________ ______________________________________________________
c. ___________ ______________________________________________________
d. ___________ ______________________________________________________
1. In the fall, Monarchs living east of the Rocky Mountains usually migrate to ______________
while those Monarchs living west of the Rockies usually migrate to _________________.
2. What did Dr. Fred Urquhart use to track the migration of the Monarchs? ______________
3. How do Monarchs find their overwintering groundsplaces they have never been before?
1. In the summer, adult Monarchs need ____________ to feed on and _______________
leaves to lay eggs on. In the winter, they need _________________ to roost or hang on.
Strategies for Survival
1. What climatic conditions are best for the Monarchs' overwintering site?
2. How does milkweed help protect the Monarchs? ______________________________________
3. Are all milkweeds the same? If not, how do they differ? ____________________________________
1. Name a common butterfly found in San Diego County. Describe its habitat.
2. What kind of project could you and your classmates participate in to help the Monarchs?